Once known as the “Main Street of America,” the Lincoln Highway route was established across northern Indiana in 1913, linking larger cities—Fort Wayne, Elkhart, Goshen, South Bend, LaPorte, and Valparaiso—to smaller communities. Most Lincoln Highway towns renamed their main streets Lincolnway in recognition of the nation’s first coast-to-coast auto road. When the route was shortened the in 1926, it linked Fort Wayne to Columbia City, Warsaw, and Plymouth, giving the state two Lincoln Highway routes. From Fort Wayne to the famous Ideal Section, between Dyer and Schererville, Indiana’s Lincolnway towns remain proudly connected to Lincoln Highway history. Through vintage photographs, postcards, advertisements, and other historical records, this armchair tour of the highway visits sites favored by early tourists, documents the people and places that made the highway a vital corridor, and celebrates Indiana’s place in early automotive and road-building history.
Softcover, 6 x 9, 128 pgs.