This visual journey documents people, places, and events that shaped Morton Grove before and after its incorporation in 1895. The town’s history holds stories of American Indian villages, European settlement, and diverse ethnic groups. Following the Treaty of Chicago in 1833, early settlers generated energy by damming the nearby river to power Miller's Mill and harvested timber from the rich woodlands. Fertile prairie soils attracted truck farmers in the 1840s, and the floral industry boomed once tracks were laid for the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway Company in 1872. This whistle stop, named for Levi Parsons Morton, an official of the railroad and vice president of the United States from 1889 to 1893 under Benjamin Harrison, became known for its pickle companies, prize-winning roses, airfields, and roadhouses.
Softcover, 6 x 9, 128 pgs.