As his ship rounded the high point off Point Loma, San Diego, in 1859, Richard Henry Dana wrote, “We were greeted by the cheering presence of a light-house.” In reality, beams from San Diego’s first lighthouse were repeatedly lost in cloud and fog, and all too soon came agitation for a more effective light at a lower elevation. By 1891, two new lighthouses were constructed to achieve what one could not—a major light on the low tip of Point Loma and a secondary light at Ballast Point. Although abandonment of the first lighthouse structure was nearly catastrophic, it still survives today to charm millions of visitors. This pictorial history presents new glimpses of the famous and lesser-known lighthouses of San Diego, thanks to the memories and photographs belonging to families of the men who kept the lights burning.
Softcover, 6 x 9, 128 pgs.
top of page