The town of Pullman, the brainchild of George M. Pullman, began as a small community on the south side of Chicago. In 1879, Pullman, builder of the Pullman Sleeping Car, purchased land just west of Lake Calumet. Here he built his model town in 1880. The first planned industrial town, its center was the Pullman railroad car business. Employees lived in well-constructed houses on pleasantly landscaped streets, with all the necessary conveniences: a bank, library, theatre, post office, church, parks and recreational facilities. The Hotel Florence (pictured on cover), the Grand Old Lady of Pullman, is still a major visitor attraction. With photos from the Foundation archives, this book chronicles the history of the community from Pullman's birth in 1831 through the 1990s.
Softcover, 6 x 9, 128 pgs.